Monday, August 6, 2007

Fixing a car, building a relationship.

Have you watched one of those fix-it-up TV shows "This Old House," "Ask this Old House," "Flip This House" and "Curb Appeal." In the automotive arena there is "Pimp My Ride," "Overhauled" and one other that I can't remember at the moment. The premise of each of these show is to take something old and fix it up into an item of beauty and value. And of course everyone watching these shows gets smitten by the repair bug (which I'm sure the producers of these show had intended us to do in the first place).

Well I too have said "ooh and ahh" as I looked at my son's car. But that is because all my bones and joints are aching. I've started a project together with him called "Help My Son Get a Ride." We've begun with a 1991 Buick Lesabre blue bomb with two rear doors that didn't open from the inside or out, a leaking transmission line, brakes that didn't work and an A/C compressor that was so bad that it made sparks and lots of noise.

So far we gotten one rear door to open (and close) without spending a penny; we circumvented the air conditioner compressor completely by eliminating it from the serpentine power belt routing; although we had to purchase a much shorter belt to do it. We replaced both front calipers and rotors (the brake pads were provide courtesy of the previous owner). We also replaced both rear brake cylinders, replaced broken brake lines as a result of replacing those wheel cylinders, bled the brake hydraulic system and have achieved full braking power. There isn't much more we can do, is there?

Not so fast fellow blogger. We need to check the hand brake system since we accidentally disconnected it. We have to finish that last door so it opens and closes and get the radio to work (not really important but hey, we were in the mood). We need to fix a leaking tire rim and put the spare doughnut tire back in the trunk; clean and wax the car (if we have time). And last but not least get it titled, put on temporary tags, get E-checked and put on permanent plates.
Whew, did I say that a father's work is never done? Did I mention that this was the kid I chewed out? Did I mention that the two of us like working together? Did I mention that I truly love my son and I believe he reciprocates in kind? $250.00 for a 1991 blue bomb; $20.00 for calipers, $20.00 for wheel cylinders, $3.75 for brake lines, $27.95 for a serpentine belt, and $5.95 for brake fluid. Working together, having quality time to spend with each other restoring a car, priceless.

K

No comments: