Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Do not remove a fly from your friend’s forehead with a hatchet--Chinese Proverb

I walk my dog nightly and I see these little nocturnal creatures almost every evening. I steer well clear of them so as not to infuriate them. I don't need additional problems. I was quite surprised one day when I came home to find my neighbor knocking at my front door just as I sat down to watch TV. I hadn't even prepared my usual snack. "K. I need your help, this animal has been stuck trying to burrow under my garage wall, and it can't get out. It's been there all day—stuck," he gushed out. Now I like to help people, especially those who really need it and this guy was desperate. "Why don't you call the Animal Control Agency?" I thought out loud. "They wouldn't come out; they say I need an exterminator."

And then I saw this black and white kitty; its head facing outside; its waist caught by the wooden, clapboard siding. The "kitty" turned out to be my nocturnal skunk. At this point I had second thoughts about being so helpful. I remembered how frustrated I had been only minutes before trying to get my battery dead car started in order to get home. I hadn't much luck getting anyone at the office willing to assist me except for the most unlikely person. She and I had a difference of opinion a few days earlier and she was willing to help. I was really grateful and stifled all the unkind thought I had had up to that time. The car started, I came home and now faced my frustrated neighbor. How could I turn him down in a time like this? "Pass the good deed on to someone else." Wasn't that the Christian spirit?

I went into my garage and got out my long handled axe; both the neighbor and skunk looked at me with wide, terror stricken eyes. What they thought was not my intent. I placed the blade of the axe against the siding and pried it away from the animal. Bit by bit the wood released its strangling hold; the skunk wiggled its shoulders free backed into the garage and retreated into a darkened corner for solace and recuperation. We weren't in danger of getting sprayed; the animal was grateful, the neighbor was relieved and I had material for a new blog. All is well that ends well.

K.

No comments: