Thursday, September 27, 2007

“Computer Dating is fine, if you’re a computer.” Rita Mae Brown

I'd like to think of myself as a matchmaker, but I don't have a very good record. If fact I don't think any of the people I'd suggested getting together ever had. So right now my record is zero. It is a shame. Adults don't have to spend their lives in isolation and totally apart. Everyone should have a significant other so they can spend their lives together. Couples should compliment each other. To me, marriage is a lasting tradition.

My dear grandmother met her mate at her sister's wedding. Old World weddings lasted more than one day and at the end of the festivities my grandparents went to her father and asked if they could get married. "Not this year" he replied, "one wedding a year is enough; it is all that I can afford." They got married the next year and were husband and wife for nearly fifty years. My grandmother was a widow for thirty years and died on the same day that her husband did thirty years earlier. They were very much the romantics. They were destined to be together as soul mates.

My parents met at their place of employment and were married for sixty-two years. My father was devastated while Mom was dying in the hospital; he sang hymns at her side in her final hours. They were devoted to each other as well. After Mom died, Dad kind of fell apart. I told him life has to go on; I think he took that to heart and met Virginia. She is a great lady and I'm glad to see them spend their Golden Years together. Mrs. K. and I have been married for forty-two years; and I like to think we are very much the romantics also.

I guess people who spend their lives alone, want it to be that way; otherwise they would do something differently. On the other hand maybe they need encouragement. So my advice is: get out there and meet someone. Become active is some sort of reputable organization, volunteer but do something or life will pass you by and leave you where you are—alone.

K.

No comments: