Friday, February 22, 2008

I remember, I remember

I didn't think about it until I read someone's blog about the death of her mother and sister. My mom died 5 yrs. ago next month. I didn't realize how fast the time had gone by. Like it was just yesterday. I had been to her gravesite several times but perhaps not enough.

In my mind I play back the events of our lives as if it was a recorded movie. More often I remember the stupid arguments we had, two headstrong people of German heritage who could not compromise; who always thought their way was the best. Her favorite expression was "learn from the mistakes of others." I couldn't see it. Her mistakes were not going to be my mistakes. We were in different times, different places, and different sexes. We were so different, and yet so much the same. I see my mother in myself. We have the same drive and determination, the same ambition (or lack of it).

Mom, I wish we could have had decent conversations, like two sensible people. There are questions that I think of now that I wish I had asked. But then I thought you would always be there; and now you're not.

Thank you Suzette for jogging my mind.

K.

No comments: