Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I walked ten miles to school in the snow, up hill both ways.

When I was a kid in elementary school during the 1950's, I joined the Boy Scouts. One of the benefits of being a Scout was to receive a paid for subscription to Boy's Life magazine, a BSA publication. This large layout periodical told kids how to bake "planked fish," tied knots and other such stuff that would be useful to the scout who was to "be prepared."

Like any magazine it had advertisers, one of which was the Savage Arms Company of Utica, NY. Savage marketed the Model 24 over and under or combo rifle with a 22 caliber barrel on the top and a 410 shotgun barrel on the bottom, all controlled by the same trigger but which required a lever to select the proper barrel. I attended my first gun show just a few months ago, and I wondered if the rifle that was touted during my childhood would still be marketed. Sure enough, I recognized it immediately. I held this old relic in my hands as I would a long forgotten toy from that same time period.

You might cringe at such an analogy, toys and guns? Yes, but those were much different times; we would like to think it was an age of innocence. This was well before Columbine High School, school multi-murders and zero tolerance. It was also a time when a kid in my high school English class went to the principal and asked if he could bring his rifle to school for a oral presentation or demonstration (a kind of a show and tell). The principal had no problem with that; the student would have his parent bring it to his office in a zippered gun case with the bolt disassembled, the student would pick it up at the office just before the class, and at the conclusion of his presentation returned it the office for the parent to pick up. Oh yes, there was to be no live ammunition (I think he brought in a dummy shell to show how it was extracted from the chamber).

I can vividly remember that unique demonstration, how to hold the rifle, positioning the webbed sling just right to aid in steadiness. I remember the various demonstrated shooting positions—prone, sitting, kneeing, and standing and how triangulation with the sling and your elbow helped to steady the shooter's aim. I cringe to think that back then it was all that simple; just get permission from the principal and bring in a gun. In today's modern, litigation happy, lawyer-dominated world, that principal would have being summarily dismissed. I wonder how much today's kids have missed out of similar experiences.

I'm not a gun advocate mind you, but I can see an opportunity when one presents itself. Today, nursery school teachers may spend hours after kids leave the building wiping down toys, chairs and doorknobs with bleach or disinfectant to prevent the spread of germs. It's for the same reason you won't see a turtle anymore in the classroom—salmonella poisoning. We shelter our children preventing them from "possible" harm. Not very long ago a parent who thought along those lines would have been considered overprotective, today we call it being reasonably prudent. Ah, the good old times, gone but not forgotten.

K.

No comments: