Friday, November 30, 2007

Christmas 2003

It was just days before Christmas 2003 and I was sitting in the waiting room of my favorite auto repair facility (it used to be called a garage). I was chit chatting with a gentleman sitting near me. "It was sixty years ago today, "he reminisced, "that I was traveling across the North Atlantic." "It was cold," he continued, "I never could get warm." "You were in the Navy?" I asked. "Yah, I was in a U-boat." It dawned in me that Christmas 1943 was during World War II and that my friend, with an unmistakable accent, had served aboard a German submarine. "We were always looking for Allied shipping." He went on to described the hardships of a very young German seaman far from his beloved farm community being tossed about in an overly cramped metal tube that was called "home." They were on the surface to charge batteries and send communications; the balance of the time they were under the surface prowling and waiting for the convoy of ships to enter their sights.

Another customer came in for service and sit down on the only remaining chair across from us. My friend went on to say, "Spending Christmas on the North Atlantic in 1943 was not very pleasant for me." Our newly arrived acquiesce now took keen interest in our conversation. "You were in the big one too, World War II? I was on the Queen Mary crossing the North Atlantic on Christmas 1943; there were many solders on that ship. We were pretty well filled up"

"Mr. Mueller your car is ready," the manager called out. My friend began to get up to get his keys, "Yah we tried to get her, but the Queen Mary was much too fast for us." Our newly arrive acquaintance also noted the accent, "You were in the…." "German navy, U-boats, almost the entire war," Mr. Mueller said, finishing the sentence.

The once talk filled room was now awkwardly silent as the two former adversaries looked at each other with greater scrutiny. It was only skill of the captain and helmsman that kept these two former enemies from killing each other. A lucky torpedo from the U-boat would have quickly sunk an unarmored, unarmed ocean liner converted to troop transporter. Now their paths had crossed once again. The recent arrival watched Mueller walk toward the exit door; they both said it almost simultaneously "Sixty year was along time ago." Each turned to the other. "Merry Christmas" said the former solder. "Fröhliche Weihnachten" replied Mueller.

Wishing you, your family and loved ones far away from home, whether in college or the military, a very blessed and joyous Christmas Season and a most Happy New Year. God bless us everyone.

K.

No comments: